Doon Kanda aka Jesse Kanda is a visual artist and musician known for his surrealist, sculptural works. His recent musical outputs as Doon Kanda include ‘Galatea’ (2002), ‘Labyrinth’ (2019), ‘Luna’ (2018) and ‘Heart’ (2017), all released by London’s Hyperdub records. Over the last decade he has created iconic album covers and music videos for Arca, Björk, and FKA twigs and visuals for Hood By Air.
Presenting himself both visually and sonically, Doon Kanda sculpts emotion, spiraling and cascading, bursting freedom, oscillating between dark and light.
Kanda often employs a unique balance of aesthetic beauty and the grotesque. Juxtaposing life and death; or love and fear. Although he is mostly known for his sculptural mixed media images, animations and music, he has also ventured into traditional filmmaking, sculpture, fashion, painting and photography. At Sensorium, he presents a rare live performance.
Exhibitions & performances
- TRAUMA – MoMA PS1 New York (2013)
- Various live shows with Arca (2013–2017)
- Solo exhibition and musical performance London Corsica Studios (2017)
- Solo exhibition and musical performance Tokyo Liquid Room (2017)
- Solo exhibition and musical performance Kyoto Metro (2017)
In cooperation with SNG – Slovak National Gallery.